They argue the Patriot Army’s defeat of British General John Burgoyne’s forces convinced the French to enter the War for Independence. Together, French and American forces cornered Charles, Earl Cornwallis at Yorktown in 1781 and ended the war.
This is the quick version of Saratoga, but as we know, history is more complicated.
Today, we explore the Saratoga Campaign of 1777 in more depth with Bruce M. Venter, author of The Battle of Hubbardton: The Rear Guard Action that Saved America.
About the Show
Ben Franklin’s World is a podcast about early American history.
It is a show for people who love history and for those who want to know more about the historical people and events that have impacted and shaped our present-day world.
Each episode features a conversation with a historian who helps us shed light on important people and events in early American history.
In this episode, Bruce M. Venter, author of The Battle of Hubbardton: The Rear Guard Action that Saved America, leads us on an exploration of the Saratoga Campaign of 1777.
During our investigation, Bruce reveals the state of the American War for Independence in 1777; British General John Burgoyne’s plans for capturing the Lake Champlain-Hudson corridor; And, the important role the Battle of Hubbardton played in the Patriots’ victory at the Battle of Saratoga.
What You’ll Discover
- America’s History, LLC
- State of the American War for Independence in July 1777
- Why the British Army wanted to control the Hudson River
- British General John Burgoyne’s plan of attack
- Geography of the Lake Champlain-Hudson River corridor
- Patriot goals and strategy for the Saratoga campaign
- Fort Ticonderoga and the British capture of Canada
- General John Burgoyne’s Army
- British-allied German soldiers and Native American warriors
- The Patriot position at Fort Ticonderoga
- The Patriot retreat from Fort Ticonderoga
- Colonel Ebenezer Francis
- Colonel Seth Warner
- The rear guard force that protected the retreating Patriot army
- The British force that pursued the retreating Patriots
- The Battle of Hubbardton
- The importance of the Battle of Hubbardton to the Saratoga Campaign
Links to People, Places, and Publications
- Bruce Venter
- America’s History, LLC
- The Battle of Hubbardton: The Rear Guard Action that Saved America
- Hubbardton Battlefield Historic Site
- Saratoga National Historical Park
- The Bennington Monument
- The Last of the Mohicans
Is there any way that the Americans could have defeated the British at the Battle of Hubbardton and if so, how would their victory have changed the course of the American War for Independence?
Questions, Comments, Suggestions
Do you have a question, comment, or suggestion?
Enjoy the Podcast?
Why Not Subscribe?
Ratings & Reviews
If you enjoy this podcast, please give it a rating and review.
Positive ratings and reviews help bring Ben Franklin's World to the attention of other history lovers who may not be aware of our show